Basic PLC - Programming Troubleshooting & maintenance RSLogix 5 & 500 (Allen Bradley)
This course is designed for maintenance/operator personnel who will be working with PLCs for the first time, with a requirement for understanding of what PLC’s are, how they work and their limitations. Understand their uses, functions and control using programming software.
Maintenance/operator services are often confronted with equipment from several manufacturers. This course recognises that maintenance/operator personnel may not have had any previous experience with PLCs so they cannot build up a profound technical knowledge of all the equipment to be maintained. One needs to have sufficient knowledge of the equipment, coupled with knowledge of the installation to be able to diagnose the problem and then solve the problem.
With regard to PLCs and programming terminals, the maintenance engineer/operator needs to be able to access specific parts of the program and to examine the I/O status. Programming and documenting the program is of less importance. The maintenance engineers should be capable of making small changes to the program.
Problems are most likely to occur with the installation itself and this is reflected in the PLC. For instance, a defective sensor, a badly working cylinder etc. These faults can be investigated via the programming terminal and the signal status can be presented dynamically. This course will give the engineer/operator sufficient confidence and skill to connect a programming terminal to the PLC and obtain information on faults and general operating information.
Following the course, the maintenance engineer/operator should be capable of executing the following actions:
- Learn the basic principals of how a PLC works.
- Understand how Input & Output modules are used with Switches & Indicators.
- Learn the role of the process and monitor the run-time behaviour of the system as a whole.
- Gain an understanding of system issues such as CPU memory & Fault diagnostics.
- To determine that the signal of the ‘suspected’ unit will show at the correct PLC reference. One should measure here with a universal meter.
- To start up the programming terminal & communicate with the PLC.
The maintenance engineer will also be able to read the documentation, understand the structure of the PLC and be aware of the most commonly used PLC instructions.
- What is a PLC
- How does it work
- Hardware of the PLC ( Allen-Bradley or Siemens )
- Understand the diagnostic LED’s and signal indicators
- Concept of switches & Indicators
- Understand the role of the PLC
- Input & Output Addressing
- Monitor the run-time behaviour of the system
- Backing up programmes to disk, file save & load
- How to add documentation to a programme
- Set up Communications from PC to CPU
- Understanding of Bits, Timers, Counters
- Create a basic PLC programme
- Download/Upload the programme
- Make changes to Data (temperature, speed etc.)
- Fault diagnostics
This training course uses both conventional and non-traditional techniques. It utilises small group and facilitated plenary discussions as well as instruction to explore key concepts, models, tools and techniques. Hands-on exercises and case studies are used to practice the application of knowledge and use of skills. Structured reviews provide the opportunity to consider how the learning can be applied to the delegates’ own work.
- D.McKINSEY AND ASSOCIATES Ltd Certificate of Completion for individuals who attend and completes’ Basic PLC – Programming Troubleshooting & maintenance RSLogix 5 & 500 (Allen Bradley) course.
- Candidates who desire International Certifications shall be registered through our platform for such an examination.
D.Mckinsey is licensed to train and issue certificates by the following bodies;
– Nigerian Council for Management Education, (CMD).
– OGTAN (Oil and Gas Trainers Association of NIGERIA).
Kindly confirm space availability by calling +234 (0) 8023192104 or +234 (0) 9062386530 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com. For In-House training programs / on request, please contact us using above contact details.