Distributed Control Systems (DCS)
This short course is very suitable as a precursor to vendor training. It is aimed at the Instrument Engineer/Technician and the Automation Engineer/Technician.
At the end of this course the delegate should be able to demonstrate:
- A solid understanding of the architecture and operation of Distributed control systems (DCS)
- Ability to design the overall DCS and process control system
- Better specification of the planned DCS
- Improved process performance for the plant
- Understanding of the key ergonomic issues in design of operator displays
- Apply advanced control strategies to a plant control system
- More effective use of your existing DCS process control capabilities
- Design and create a consistent and effective alarm philosophy for any installation
- Recognise and deal with human problems when interfacing to alarm systems
- Introduction to the course
- Pre-course test
- Smart field instrumentation
- The use of microprocessors and the meaning of a truly “distributed” system
- Fieldbuses and Foundation Fieldbus, the instrument bus system
- Controlling the Smart field instruments, the programmable logic controller PLC
- Brief review of P+I+D control
- DCS architecture and the roll of the PLC
- PLC architecture
- Putting it all together PLC and DCS
- An introduction to logic control and relay ladder logic
- The relationship between electrical ladder diagrams and PLC ladder logic
- SCADA/DCS systems hardware and firmware
- SCADA systems software and protocols
- Typical DCS and SCADA systems
- Introduction to communications for DCS and SCADA
- Local area network systems
- Programming of DCS systems
- Ladder logic programming
- Programming logical functions
- Programming timers
- Programming counters
- The shift register
- Conveyor belt example
- The PLC graphic simulator
- Alarm system management
- Distributed co0ntrol system reporting
- Maintenance considerations
- Distributed control system applications
- Post-course test
- The delegate must submit any completed exercises as part of the post-course test
- Course Evaluation
This training course uses both conventional and non-traditional techniques. It utilises small group and facilitated plenary discussions as well as instruction to explore key concepts, models, tools and techniques. Hands-on exercises and case studies are used to practice the application of knowledge and use of skills. Structured reviews provide the opportunity to consider how the learning can be applied to the delegates’ own work.
- D.McKINSEY AND ASSOCIATES Ltd Certificate of Completion for individuals who attend and completes’ Distributed Control Systems (DCS) course.
- Candidates who desire International Certifications shall be registered through our platform for such an examination.
D.Mckinsey is licensed to train and issue certificates by the following bodies;
– Nigerian Council for Management Education, (CMD).
– OGTAN (Oil and Gas Trainers Association of NIGERIA).
Kindly confirm space availability by calling +234 (0) 8023192104 or +234 (0) 9062386530 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com. For In-House training programs / on request, please contact us using above contact details.